Tambov land became a part of Russia in the 17th century and at first it was an unsteady border area. The construction of Belgorod border junction line and the foundation of fortress towns like Kozlov and Tambov started in the 30s of the 17th century. These towns were populated by runaway serfs who had been freed from serfdom and who enrolled for the service to guard the southern borders of the Russian State.
For hundreds of years Tambov has been a breadbasket for Russia. Tambov land was made famous by outstanding scientists, composers, artists, novelists and poets, soldiers and simple working people.
17th century. Reclamation of “Dikoye Polie” – the lands to the south from the Oka
1629 — foundation of the monastery in Nikolsky glade (today’s Mamontovo monastery)
1630s — construction of a part of Tatar rampart from Michurinsk to Tambov
1635-1636s — foundation of fortress towns of Kozlov (today’s Michurinsk) and Tambov
1647 — building of the second part of Tatar rampart near the southern border of Tambov
1694 — beginning of the construction of Savior Transfiguration cathedral made of stone in place of the wooden Savior Tranfiguration church.
18th century. The area is becoming a developed agricultural region. The grain is sold to the central regions of the country. By the end of the century all unoccupied lands have been populated. The main system of settlements has been formed.
1763 — beginning of the construction of the stone church in the name of the Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God (Intercession cathedral).
1781 — approval of Tambov coat of arms.
1786-1788 — the region being ruled by governor-general G. R. Derzhavin. Opening of the printing house and a theatre, planning redevelopment of Tambov.
1779 — foundation of Tambov governorship. Foundation of Tambov religious seminary. Kozlov was the chief town of Tambov governorship. Morsha village was reorganized into Morshansk town. Kirsanovo village – into Kirsanov town.
1796 — Tambov governorship was rearranged into a province that became one of the largest regions of Russian Empire. Its borders stretched from Murom in the north to the Khoper River in the south. In the west the region bordered on the Don while the eastern part – on Mordovia. Tambov became the official center of Tambov province.
19th century. The construction of the railroad passing through Tambov and being a powerful spur to the development of trade and industry. Public gardens, parks, a theatre, a library, a race course, hotels, restaurants and other places of entertainment appeared in Tambov.
1830 — Foundation of Tambov public library.
1879 — Foundation of Tambov governor museum and the society of music and drama lovers.
20th century. The century of great changes. The establishment of Soviet power, famous Tambov Rebellion and the life in the World War II years and after.
1910 — foundation of the first cinemas in Tambov.
1918 — establishment of Soviet power.
1920-1921 — “Antonovshchina” — the peasant war in Tambov province caused by the overwhelming surplus-appropriation system. The rebellion was named after its leader’s surname – A.S. Antonov. The tragic history of those years includes the first use of chemical weapon by the government against its own rebelled people. Until 1937 Tambov was deprived of its status of regional center.
1928 — abolishment of Tambov province.
1931 — foundation of Michurinsk state agricultural university.
1937 — formation of Tambov region.
1941-1945 — more than 240 000 Tambov residents fought at the fronts of the World War II. Hospitals and base services were organized in the towns of the region.
1958 — opening of a branch of Moscow Institute of chemical engineering in Tambov.
1961 — opening of Tambov regional art gallery.
1994 — organization of “Voroninsky” state nature reserve.
21st century. Tambov land keeps developing and changing. Tourism development is becoming of high importance in the region. New monuments are being erected, buildings are being reconstructed, new museums are being prepared to welcome their first visitors.
2012 — “Pictures in town” art project is all over the streets of Tambov displaying the best works from the collections of Tambov museums outdoor.
2014 — opening of “The Aseyevs’ estate” museum complex.
2015 — opening of the monument to two famous composers, I. Shatrov and V. Agapkin.
2016 — opening of the monument to Tambov treasurer’s wife.
2016-2018 — event-tourism is actively developing during these years. New event activities like Goat festival in Michurinsk or Holiday of early bloomers in Znamenka are organized.
2017-2018 — foundation of the national museum of St. Luka in Tambov.
2018 — opening of the monument to the military conductor and composer, Valery Khalilov.