The building of Tambov former religious seminary is one of the oldest and largest ones in town. The stone two-storey building was founded here in May, 1785. The construction works continued and the building grew higher and wider. It was built according to the architectural canons of that time under the supervision of town architect V. Usachyov. Because of the lack of finances, the construction had ony been finised by 1797. The domestic church was arranged in the main building in the middle of the 19th century and in 1877 it was rebuilt.
The whole main building was joined by the third floor in 1909 while a new two-storey wing was attached ont he southern side. The ground floor of this annex housed a library, while the first floor had a new domestic church in the names of Sts. Cyril and Methodius. Since then the building structure has remained the same.
The seminary had three departments (Rhetoric, Philosophy and Theology) offering three-year courses. Besides religious subjects students studied World History, foreign languages, Maths, Physics, Agriculture and other subjects. The seminary staff included both clergy and secular professors. For over 150 years Tambov religious seminary had been training many graduates who became respectable priests and public figures.
After the revolution the building was handed over to the 16th infantry school of red command officers. The workers‘ department had been arranged here by the end of the 1920s and the departments of Tambov teacher-training institute – by the end of the 1930s. During the World War II the building was used as an evacuation hospital and after it was closed, from 1944 to 1961, - Suvorov Military School. For some time after it was occupied by Tambov teacher-training college.
At the end of the 1960s the whole building was passed to Tambov institute of chemical engineering – Tambov state technical university today. It still houses one of the university branches.