In prerevolutionary times Tambov Dormition cemetery was considered to be elite. Only well-off people could afford buying a place for the burial here. Dormition cemetery is the cemetery that hasn’t been preserved to the present day.
In October, 1931, Dormition cemetery was closed according to the resolution of the town council. Gorgeous funerary monuments in the shapes of marble and granite gravestones, sculptures, crosses and elegant chapels were wiped off together with the name of the cemetery. The graves of many respected and famous Tambovians were lost. Today, in place of the former cemetery there is Dormition Square.
Originally, the cemetery received its name after the cemetery church of the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God. The old cemetery Dormition church had been standing there from 1818 to 1936. The new stone chapel was built in place of the old church in 2002.