The official date of the construction is 1800. But from generations to generations, locals believe that the construction works began in 1774 under the supervision of one of the local landladies. There are records of some landowners‘ names who took an active part in the church construction on their lands. The church in Karian is associated with the landowners Potapovs-Millers.
When the church had already been half-built, the landlady didn’t like the final result. The first church was dismantled and the newly-built one which we can see today was designed according to another project.
Architecturally, the church is cross-shaped with an adjoined “carved” bell tower. The church has two altars – its central altar is consecrated in honor of the icon of the Intercession of the Holy Mother of God while the side altar – in the name of St. John the Baptist and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.
The church in Karian has miraculously remained intact even though it had been used as a mechanic workshop for quite a while. At present, the church is fully functional with its main holy objects being the icon of the Intercession of the Holy Mother of God and the icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.