Tambov music-teaching institute named after Sergey Rakhmaninov is one of the oldest educational institutions of a music type in Russia. The history of musical education in Tambov dates back to the organization of music classes in Music and Drama Lovers Club in 1879.
In 1882, the open music classes were included in Russian imperial musical society branch in Tambov. Later the organized musical institution as an independent educational establishment was called music school, people’s conservatory, music technical school and again music school.
Since 1959, the school has been named after the great Russian composer – Sergey Rakhmaninov.
The music school was built in 1903. The memorial plate was fixed on one of the walls saying: “The present building was designed by F.A. Svirchevsky and supported by Vasily Petrovo-Solovovo”.
The building in art nouveau style was noticeable enough because of its large gable, strict symmetry of all façade elements and a metal fence roof above the entrance. The façade of the building is decorated with the busts of the famous Russian composers, such as Mikhail Glinka and Anton Rubinstein. The interior decorations include the portrait high reliefs of Russian and foreign composers. The second floor is equipped with a concert hall with good acoustics.
Next to the main entrance to the school there is a memorial plate to Sergey Rakhmaninov.