The history of Morshansk town library is closely connected with the history of the town itself and dates back from 1918.
Originally, the library used to be a part of the museum of local history in one of the most beautiful buildings of the town, merchant Kaverin’s former store. Back then, the library included five sections: subscription section and reading room for adults, children’s subscription section and reading room, and a teaching section. The first head of the library was L.V. Trofimov who later became the best in the country librarian.
In 1929, the library moved into a separate two-storey building of the 18th century with the area of 800 m2 where it is located at present. The building of the library is one of the most beautiful buildings of the town center and the monument of architecture of the 19th century.
Since 1979, the Central town library has headed the library system of the town.